Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Excerpts From A Memoir: Thrown To The Wolves ~ The Angels & Me



THE ANGELS AND ME

by

Anthonystjoseph


     Even as a young child I knew something was going on.  I am descended from very religious and spiritual genes on both sides of my family.  I was around four or five years old the first time, that I remember, I felt their thoughts.  I was staring at my reflection in the mirror.  I stared at myself for what seemed like the longest time and the craziest thought ran through my head.  A thought that said I was special, a thought that all kids have but are taught and trained to lose by the harshness of the world, or as some people might put it, the reality of the world.  Well this thought said I was really special.  I mean really, really, really special.  Even at that point I knew that people who think that they are really, really, really special were generally considered crazy and locked up, so I shook that thought right out of my head and said out loud, “That’s crazy!”
     Little did I know that approximately thirty years later my half-brother would contact me during one of the saddest and most life changing moments of my life and tell me that God had talked to him and told him that very same thought about me that I had tried to shake out of my head.  What was happening to me in my life?  What were these thoughts, and more importantly, why were they happening?
     But on to more earthly matters, or once again, as some would say, back to reality.  I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, when my training, or should I say, childhood development, was transferred to the city of Los Angeles at the age of two, the City of Angels.  They called the part of Los Angeles that I lived in, ‘The Jungle’.  In the city of ‘Lost Angels’, as I like to think of it, my naiveté became quite evident.  I mean I was Gullible Gary, Nancy Naïve, and Stupid Nupid all rolled up into one.  I mean talk about being thrown amongst the wolves.  These kids, so called angels, almost ate me alive.
     We had this substitute teacher one day in the third grade and she was not prepared for this inner-city school.  Those ‘jungle’ kids tore her a whole new asshole and probably gave her a new belief system.  They had her climbing the walls.  They pushed every single button she had to push.  Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore and decided she was going to take charge.  She started screaming at the kids and they screamed back.  I was sitting at my desk and was numb and almost catatonic at the scene unveiling itself before my eyes.  My empathic abilities had me all twisted up.  It was clear to me that she was not going to recover from this at any time soon.  She decides to grab one of the kids.  It’s the third grade but I’m thinking this kid might take her.  He runs, she chases; around and around the peripheral of the classroom they go as all our heads follow them in circular motion as he runs and as she chases.  All of a sudden, the kid behind me sticks his leg out and trips the teacher and she falls at my feet creating a loud thud.  I start to cry for her and I go to help her up and she says to me in a slow and deep guttural growl, “DON’T YOU TOUCH ME.”  The teacher had transformed into a primal creature right before my eyes.  She was not well and wasn’t going to be well for quite some time.  You didn’t have to be an empath to see that.
     The ambulance came and carted the substitute teacher off to where all decent innocent substitutes who think they can handle an inner-city school go ~ the infamous padded room.  The little demons in training had accomplished their mission.  The so called ‘angels’ were once again at peace, they had had their meal and been fed.  Meanwhile, there is still one little Gary Gullible around wiping his tears, little old me.  One of their leaders decides, why not do a little side job before retiring for the day.  He tells me, “Watch this!”  He goes up under the big round table where we are sitting and proceeds to stick his hand up under this girl’s dress and in between her legs while she sits across from us and he then digs in her panties.  I know because I looked under the table as he was doing it.  Um-huh, stuck my head right under the table and saw him with his hand in her private area digging around.  I was naïve but I still had to see some evidence, although when I raised my head up and saw the look on the girls face it was all the evidence one needed.  The girl was terrified and being held captive in a daytime nightmare.
     Now this next occurrence is when they, the ‘lost angels’, as they shall now be referred too, found out that my believability factor was very high.  Some people might call it the stupid gene; it’s from my mother’s side of the family.  He, the little crotch digging devil, went back up under the table, back into the little girl’s panties and then came back and said, “Look!”  He opened his hand and there was a little brownish green nut with what looked like a little fur and tiny little chunks as a covering.  The nut was about the size of a pistachio nut but looked hard.  He said, “I took this out of her private.”  I pleaded softly because I didn’t want the teacher to hear, “Put it back, put it back.”  This new teacher knew how to handle these angels, pardon me, lost angels; she just left them alone and minded her own business because she knew if they felt the slightest need, they would jack her up like they did that poor substitute who now only mumbled words occasionally and took her food through a straw.  I silently pleaded with him to put the girls ‘nut’ back.  Gary Gullible was rearing his stupid head for SURE!  I begged him to put the girl’s internal organ back and he said, “Do you want me to?”  I said, “YES, put it back!”  He said, “Okay, okay.”  He reluctantly went back up under the table and proceeded to put the ‘nut’ back into the girl’s innards.  City of Angels my ass!  Somebody get me out of here!  Now for the life of me, to this day, I do not know why this little girl sat through this whole thing without saying a word.  I did hear that some girls like somebody digging in their private, I don’t know, just something I heard.  Now about that surgically removed and replaced ‘nut’.  It wasn’t until twenty years later and I was at a fundraiser in West Hollywood for the new mayor Steve Schultz and ate a Spanish Olive from the buffet that I realized what this ‘NUT’ was!  It was a SPANISH OLIVE SEED!  After I ate the Spanish Olive and revealed the nut, there was the fur all over it, and everything else I remembered seeing; the moist chunks, the ridges, all of it the same as back then.  I stood there and stared at the olive seed as clarity came over me.  I had traveled half way around the world and been to Egypt and Germany but there I was around ten miles away from the school where I was traumatized by the little demon angel in training staring at the truth.  I think I looked around in slight fear thinking he was under one of the tables traumatizing some poor old West Hollywood socialite and digging in her panties serving up appetizers as a waiter.  Gary Gullible was rearing his ugly and naïve head in my early twenties right in the middle of a public function.
     After I got out of school in the afternoons in the city of lost angels, I would have to go to a day care center until my mom got off work.  Can you say absentee father?  Well actually, none-at-all father.  Although I would not know this until later in life, my birth certificate is blank where my father’s name goes so that was the first clue as to who and what my father was to be in my life.  The woman who owned and operated the day care center, or should I say the ‘House of Hell’, was a ‘head demon’ in training named Jemima.  Well, one day my ear started hurting and then the pain just got worse and slowly became unbearable.  When my mother got off work and came to retrieve me and saw that I was miserable and crying over the pain in my ear, it was decided that I had an earache!  I had never experienced anything so painful in my young life.
     My mom, who preferred me quiet and in front of a television, didn’t know what to do at the sight of me writhing in pain.  The Head demon said she knew exactly what to do.  I stopped writhing for just a second to cock an eyebrow at Jemima because she was always a suspect.  I always knew to keep a good eye on her!  Anyway, Jemima says, “Bring him to the kitchen.”  I am watching everybody because my sensors are going off!  I’ve heard the screams of lesser intelligent creatures who this woman has taken into the other room for minor infractions so I know something is up.  And why are they holding me!  Then it happens, Jemima turns on the gas burner on top of the stove.  I try to bolt and she says, “GRAB ‘EM!”  Dear God!  My mom has taught me how to talk and reach out to God and at this point, I am REACHING OUT!
     They, her two henchmen, get hold of both my arms.  My mom should have known something was up with this day care since this woman always had two henchmen around to help.  I was too young to tell you what they were there for so I couldn’t tell you to this day.  They grab my arms and she says, “Bring him over here”.  I’m searching my soul trying to figure out why on earth my mother is letting them do this and what exactly are they doing.  She pours something into a spoon and puts the spoon over the fire.  OH GOD!  TAKE ME NOW GOD!  TAKE ME NOW!  She then says, “Tilt his head”.  The whole time my mother continues to watch and allows all of this to happen.  In my mother, I am witnessing the behavior of a traitor if you asked me.  The woman takes the hot spoon and pours the liquid right into my ear.  I let out the scream of someone being impaled through the rectum in the early days of England’s war on Protestants.  They release me and I feel no pain.  I think its shock.  I stare at everyone involved and pledge that I will never trust another human being in my life.  It was at this point that everything changed.  They were different than I.  I could never commit an act of such nature on another human.  IT WAS WAR!  A silent war that I would fight with all my wit and intelligence from that day on.  Never would I admit to having an ear ache again.  My powers were stronger than I knew.  I would never experience an ear ache again in my entire life and I’m sure it was due to the fear of that big black woman being summoned from hell to turn on the gas burner with her two gargoyles to hold my arms and tilt my head!
     I think it was a few weeks before I spoke to my mom again unless it was to say something like NO or SO.  Our relationship was downhill from then on.  Little did I know that almost fifty years later, she would be laying in her death bed taking her last breath saying, “I won’t die until I see Tony.”  I, at the time who had not seen my mother in years, would be refusing to visit her death bed based on our history and her deceptive machinations.  Eventually her death came, my visit did not.
     Well, finally my screams of terror and prayers of passion were heard by the ‘upstairs department’ and I was granted leave from the city of angels.  My mother, that’s what she was trying to get me to believe at that point, requested a transfer back to the airport in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  A big earthquake in 1972 had just traumatized the city of angels and she was definitely one of the ones who wanted to get out!  I will remember that earthquake for my entire life and beyond for what happened and how it happened.  My mother and I were sleeping in the same room, each having our own twin bed in the one bedroom apartment.  The room was grey due to the curtains being drawn or the time of day or both.  Both of us were sleeping very soundly when all of a sudden, the room started to violently shake.  I remember I awoke first and was startled by the new shaking scenario as pieces of stucco were falling on us from the ceiling.  My mother awoke and realized what was happening and her first instinct was to jump on top of me and cover me from the falling ceiling.  I start to struggle with my mom as I am feeling violated and suffocated by her fiercely covering me.  I think about this event often in my life when I question my mother’s love for me.  Did she lose her love for me after that?  Was she just holding me out of her own fear?  Or was she simply just protecting her investment?
     The moving truck seemed to show up the next day.  We moved immediately and lived in St. Paul, Minnesota, the place where I was born.  Little did I know that this was the main center of torture.  I should have known that all was not going to be well when I met my mother’s sister.  She was another head demon in training.  I was surrounded no matter where I went.  Nothing but demons, my life was a living hell!  I was standing in the kitchen of my grandmother’s house at the tender age of seven or eight when her presence entered my world.  She came running into my grandmother’s house knowing that my mother and I had just arrived.  I heard the screen door slam and this voice that said, “WHERE IS HE?”  Yeah, they were coming for me.  I heard someone say, “He’s in the kitchen.”  How did they know who she was talking about?  Why did she come looking for me?  Did they know by her actions that she was clearly looking for the sacrificial lamb?  Was I the lamb?  She came running into the kitchen and that’s when I saw her.  I had lost all sight of focus on anything but the voice of the wind.  The voice in the wind had manifested itself in front of me in the personage of this woman, a woman out of breath who seemed to crave the moment as a dying vampire craved blood!  She stood there at the north entrance to the kitchen crouched like a tiger.  She was a tall, extremely light skinned woman of substantial girth with a large afro that was half auburn red and half mango yellow!  I later found out she called the yellow part gold.  She came running straight towards me in the kitchen with a maniacal grin on her face and then tackled me to the ground and sat on top of my chest while pinning my arms down with her knees.  I was catatonic and now I was completely sure I was in the medical condition described as shock.  She then proceeded to lift her blouse while wearing no bra and revealing a very large set of huge white breast and jiggled them back and forth and then took out all her teeth, as in a set of dentures, and screamed, “I’m your AUNTIE CONNIE!” 
     Great!  So now I have the head demon named Jemima with the tablespoon of hotness and the toothless two pale moons of September as my top role models for women outside of my mother who herself happens to constantly leaves me in a state of abandonment.  I feel a balanced comfortable life of heterosexuality in my future for sure.  What do you think?  Everyone called Connie by her nickname which was ‘New’.  They can call her New if they want to but her shit got old real fast.
     With that initial warning completely put out of my mind since I was so happy at being liberated from the city of angels, I pressed on.  I was walking on cloud nine.  Not one person in St. Paul knew that I was really Nancy Naïve and Gary Gullible rolled up into one.  I had been given a new start, a clean slate.  I was now one of the in-crowd.  Back then I didn’t know about the demon website, which is how they communicate with each other and clearly how they put my name and likeness up as in, ‘get him!’  And that was before computers.
     I start my new school with my head held high.  I wear my new attitude like new school clothes.  Satan out of my way, I am love.  Well you know love like that attracts him quicker than anything.  All the kids at school were impressed by the fact that I was from the city of angels.  I mean that’s where ‘The Jackson Five’ lived, and yeah, I knew them.  At least you would have thought I did by the way I paraded about.  Some of the boys were even scared of me.  I had not been established in their pecking order so nobody knew my fighting skills.  They didn’t know my capabilities in the ‘meet me after school’ arena.  So, one day during my ‘parade’ this kid named Leon pissed me off.  I think he forgot to bow or something.  Anyway, I told him I was going to kick his ass.  He whimpered off waiting to be handled later by the gangster from the city of angels.  I was riding high.  Little did I know that not even the singing of Barbra Streisand herself could stop the rain that was heading for my parade.  I should have known because Leon is Noel (Christmas), spelled backwards, and that’s just what Leon did.  He backed up and canceled my Christmas.
     The day the ‘rain’ came I was still riding high when we were let out of school.  I was leaving the school yard and walking down the stairs as I spotted Leon in front of me and remembered the ‘contract hit’, my own authorization, it had to be carried out.  Now, Leon must have had a father and I must have been the school bully the way this story ended, because Leon had grown some courage and apparently, some boxing tips as well.  Here’s how it went.  I said to Leon as we were walking down the stairs, “Hey!  Wasn’t I supposed to kick your ass?  You ready for that ass whipping now!”  Much to my sheer terror he said, “Okay.”  All I know is that thirty seconds later the school principal was pulling Leon from on top of me.  I got up off the ground surrounded by knowing demons.  My cover had been blown.  The parade had stopped, the confetti had turned to laughter, the fans had turned to foes, and my float was flat.
     I was left in a cloud of shame that would stay with me for years to come.  A cloud that angels themselves would have to dissipate.  I had learned true humility.  Worse than that, I had learned fear, and Leon had smelled it.  The next day in class when breakfast was served, there were two trays.  One tray had little boxes of cereal and the other tray had the milk.  Leon served the cereal.  I remember it vividly.  The school played music over the intercom system during breakfast to calm the savage little beasts.  Carly Simon was coming through the speakers singing, “You’re so vain.  I bet you think the song is about you.  You’re so vain…”  POP!  Instead of cereal, Leon had given me a sturdy punch to the side of the head.  The teacher had left the class to take care of something.  I laid my head on my desk as Leon exclaimed, “You’re a punk.”  I didn’t respond for fear of more retaliation.  With my head lying on the desk, I started to cry.  I heard some girl say, “Leave him alone Leon.”  The teacher came back and I was still crying so she asked the class, “What happened to him?”  I wanted to scream, ‘YOU LEFT THE ROOM, THAT’S WHAT HAPPENED!’  Someone informed her that Leon had hit me.  The teacher said, “Leon.”  And that was it, no torture, no punishment, NOTHING!  I had been humiliated and there was no penalty for Leon.  Heads were going to roll!  Just wait until I talk to my angels.  But then I realized that they had abandoned me.  They had brought me to this new place were a different kind of shame was known other than naiveté.  Now it was no longer Nancy Naïve or Gullible Gary; it was now, Scary Jerry.  I made up my mind at that point right then and there that I would never ever subject myself to such public displays of humiliation ever again.  If you ever saw me get my ass kicked again you would have to see it on cable because I was no longer doing theaters.  In those days, there was no such thing as cable so guess what?  No ass whippings for Tony anymore.  Not until the eighth grade when they said JoAnne whipped my butt was my reputation tarnished, and I’m here to tell you she never touched me.  I was entirely too fast.  She might have chased me, but she never caught me and she definitely never touched me.
By
Anthonystjoseph

All works copyrighted © and protected by law

No comments:

Post a Comment