Monday, April 25, 2016

Homage to Writers


 
HOMAGE TO WRITERS

by

Anthonystjoseph

     Every so often I get mad at myself and feel that I have let the universe down because I haven’t created and spread as many of my stories as possible during my lifetime.  And then I watch, see, or read a story or program like ‘House of Lies’, to name one, where a writer puts together the words, “If an abortion clinic were a Subway you would already qualify for a free sandwich” and I die with joy after laughing and knowing that there are other writers out there with my wit… 

     My favorite writers are John Irving, Richard Bach, and even Harold Robbins himself who believably penned a nurse using her own personal technique of pure raw sex to give a paraplegic the ability to walk again.  And I can never share these sentiments without mentioning the first author to ever get me to love the ability to read and that author was Jacqueline Susann.  I had used my documented above average intelligence to graduate from high school with honors without ever reading a complete book or novel and had no desire too.  I had even started writing my first book before ever completely reading one.  It was the gift of a Jacqueline Susann novel showing up in my life and then going on a long field mission in the Army when I opened the book and consequently opened a whole new world of travel through reading; immersing myself into an alternate world through words.  I will never forget how hard I laughed in reading her novel when she had a character go into the bathroom not feeling well and having “an explosive bowel movement”; her book was incredible and I almost forgot I was on field duty in the Army while reading her words.  I came home from field duty and in an extremely excited state told a good friend how fascinated I was with this new concept of reading a good book.

     The friend, who was also in the Army, just kept looking at me and smiling while I described my joy in detail.  In hindsight, it seemed this friend was more than a friend but someone who knew what was happening.  It seems in hindsight that this friend knew something more because as he smiled and my joy waned in exhaustion at explaining it, my friend stood up.  He seemed to know that he was completing his mission and the writer was born and set on his path; me.  He went to a drawer and then pulled out a first edition book and then handed it to me and said, “If you liked that book so much, you should read this.”  He had handed me a first edition copy of James Baldwin’s ‘Just Above My Head’. 

     The universe wanted to solidify the love of reading and writing with me and with James Baldwin’s book ‘Just Above My Head’ the deed was done.  I loved Jacqueline Susann’s book and it introduced me to entertaining words but I fell deeply into an abyss of adoration with James Baldwin’s book.

     Other writers give me comfort…  Writers like Aloe Blacc and his cowriters who wrote, “God made my mold different from the rest; then he broke that mold so I know I’m blessed…”  I love writers.  I love wit.  I love creation.

By

Anthonystjoseph

All works copyrighted © and protected by law

No comments:

Post a Comment