Monday, January 21, 2013

Soul Music


 

SOUL MUSIC

by

Anthonystjoseph


     A friend recently announced how much music meant to her and it was very touching…  I was moved because she seemed to love music as much as I.  My longest and most supportive best friend in life has been music.  Music is there come rain or shine to help me sing song into my moments and realize that without a musical score my life would be very dull.  I decided a long time ago that I would redefine the term ‘soul’ music for myself because MY ‘soul’ music seem to be coming from all different genres.

     Even as a child I loved music and would take every opportunity to listen to the ‘good stuff’ that would take my mind and cuddle it’s emotions and rock me to a place that I wanted to be.  My music could always be counted on to ‘be there’ when I needed it.  I always loved to go to White Castle's restaurant as a child because they had the individual jukeboxes on each table and I could get some of my legal panacea called music for only ten cents from a ten year old who needed his ‘stuff’. 

     Aside from the music, the lyrics to a song can also hug your brain and ease your pain…  As a child I listened to Michael Jackson disclose my relationship with music when he, as a child, sang ‘Music and Me’; it is and will always be one of my favorite songs.  I love the lyrics in ‘Songbird’ by Steve Nelson and David P. Wolfert which say:

‘…Songbird sings from the heart
Each word can tear you apart
I sing - you sing along
You find your life in my song
When you need the strength to carry on
You've got me to turn to
With the songs that I sing
And the magic they bring
They've helped you be strong now
The song sets you free…

…I can touch your secret place inside…”

     Music has always touched ‘my secret place inside’.  So as a child and hearing all the talk about ‘soul’ music, I pondered.  I decided after years of enjoying all types of music, that to me, ‘Soul’ music would be defined differently.  The songs that really struck my heart and soul were songs that the first time I heard them I knew where they were going to go, I knew almost every mountain top the song was going to take me and almost every valley it was going to show me…  I came to understand that true ‘soul’ music speaks to your soul and your soul says, “I know this song”.  Your soul says this song is from a long time ago and takes me to a ‘temple of my familiar’.

     After a few notes, real soul music can walk up on you like a pretty girl in a dress or a sharp guy in a suit; whatever your taste and desires are it will display because it’s talking to your soul…  Soul music will walk up on you and say, “Hey baby, how you doing?  You ‘feeling alright’?  Let me take care of you.  ‘Don’t you worry about a thang’.”

     So whenever you think your soul could use a little boost, or maybe it just wants to hang out with an old friend, just turn on the music…  Turn on the music and let it whisper in your ear, “I got this”.

by

Anthonystjoseph

All works copyrighted  and protected by law

No comments:

Post a Comment